An opportunity has opened up for the right individual to assist the Vancouver Island Runners’ Association (VIRA) with the organizing and management of the 42-year-running Vancouver Island Race Series (VIRS).
VIRA seeks a special someone to fill the treasurer role which will become available starting July 1, 2023.
The start date is flexible.
Key qualities include accounting skills, critical thinking skills, excellent organizational abilities, a clear communication style, and an interest in strategic planning. We welcome both new and experienced accountants to apply. This position offers opportunities to contribute to the governance and financial management of our vibrant and welcoming race series and to collaborate with an engaged community of volunteers, including our Board of Directors.
Although the treasurer does not have to be a runner or endurance athlete and is not a requirement, the position may be of greater interest to an athlete or former athlete. Additionally, while the series raises funds through our online race registration system for the Victoria Hospitals Foundation, each member club may and often does contribute to local charities.
Responsibilities (may or may not include all):
- Preparing monthly and year-end financial reports and statements;
- Providing financial information and budgets as needed for grant applications;
- Preparing and submitting other forms and reports as required (e.g. HST refund report/tax prep) [Registered Charity Information Return and financial statements]);
- Receiving, banking, and accounting for all funds payable to VIRA;
- Paying all accounts approved by the Board in a timely manner, including paying contractors, and honorariums/expenses as required;
- Keeping financial records, including books of account as necessary to comply with the BC
- Societies Act and Canada Revenue Agency requirements, and preparing and providing financial
statements to the board, the membership, and others when required;
- Participating in four to six Board meetings and our Annual General Meeting;
- Providing financial advice to the Board and VIRA Committees as needed;
- Regular email communication regarding VIRA business; and
- Other duties as mutually agreed.
- Handling EFT, e-transfer, and online banking duties
- The outgoing Treasurer will provide support, including background on our mission and programs, as well as Board
Board meetings are scheduled every other month (approx) from 7-9 pm via Zoom, with occasional additional
meetings as needed;
Ongoing communication via phone, email, or other.
Please email a cover letter with your expression of interest, along with your resume, to BOTH Christopher Kelsall (firstname.lastname@example.org), and current vice-president and treasurer Bob Reid (email@example.com).
Value-add benefits: Satisfaction and joy from giving back to the running community, an honorarium, season pass to the series, and various other benefits ad-hoc.
Note: Applications will be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.