VIRA ATHLETE TRAVEL ASSISTANCE
VIRA offers travel assistance to athletes wishing to compete in events home and abroad. Reimbursement of up to a maximum of $500 per calendar year per individual is awarded.
The program provides financial support for high performance athletes living on Vancouver Island to assist them in achieving personal bests and in participating international, championship or high profile running races.
Eligibility: To apply for financial assistance athletes must:
1. Be a resident of Vancouver Island (minimum of 6 months)
2. Be a member in good standing of a VIRA Club.
3. Be participating in a race sanctioned by BC Athletics, Athletics Canada, AIMS or IAAF.
4. Demonstrated achievement at a local, regional and/or provincial level with a significant record of participation in the Island Series – emphasis on results in the 12 months preceding the application.
5. Be a minimum of 16 years of age at December 31 in the year of the application.
Criteria: Funding support will be based on the following priorities:
1. British Columbia or Canadian Championship race or qualifier
2. International race representing Canada.
3. Invitational international race.
Application Process: Athletes must submit one application for each competition. The VIRA Executive will review applications monthly and notify applicants within 30 days of their request as to whether funding has been approved. Following the event, successful applicants are expected to provide receipts for their expenses as well as a link to official race results and a brief race report.